Cathedral partially closed
    Only accessible to those attending Mass
    Inside temperature:
    Outside temperature: :

Nave clock, 1876

Photo: © Dombauarchiv Köln, A. Wolff

This nave clock, which hangs in the outer southern side aisle, belongs to a clockwork mechanism on the first floor of the south tower that also controls the ringing of the cathedral bells (the hour is rung every quarter of an hour). In 1876, Johann Mannhardt of Munich was commissioned to make the mechanism, which went into operation in the cathedral in 1880. The face of the clock was destroyed in the Second World War. Following comprehensive restoration in 1988–89, it was returned to its original location in the south side aisle.

Kulturstiftung Kölner Dom Das Generationenprojekt 11.000 Sterne für den Kölner Dom ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN VON 1842 DOMKLOSTER 4