Cathedral partially closed
    Only accessible to those attending Mass
    Inside temperature:
    Outside temperature: :

Comes Emundus’ grave

It is highly likely that the remains of Comes Emundus, a count who died in the ninth century and left all his lands to the Church, were interred in this sarcophagus. The lands that made up his estate in Friesheim are now part of the city of Erftstadt. This generous bequest guaranteed him not only an outstanding burial location, but the lasting memorial he so ardently desired. The sarcophagus containing his remains had to be partially destroyed to make way for a pier in the north side aisle of the Gothic cathedral. It is likely that the stone slab on top of the sarcophagus, which was inscribed with the so-called ‘Emundus epitaph’, was hung on this pier. Today, a white marble plaque featuring the text of this epitaph hangs in its place.

Kulturstiftung Kölner Dom Das Generationenprojekt 11.000 Sterne für den Kölner Dom ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN VON 1842 DOMKLOSTER 4