Outside temperature: :
As the main initiator of the construction of the new Gothic cathedral, Conrad of Hochstaden was entitled to an outstanding burial location. Shortly after his death in 1261, a magnificent tomb monument was erected at the centre of the axial chapel. Both the tomb chest and the gisant are made of bronze. When the Shrine of the Magi was moved into the axial chapel in 1322, the Hochstaden tomb was moved into the neighbouring Chapel of St John. Only the upper slab and the recumbent effigy survived the onslaught of French revolutionary troops. In the nineteenth century, the cathedral’s head architect, Ernst Friedrich Zwirner commissioned sculptor Christian Mohr to create a new stone tomb chest with figures. These figures depict the people present at the ceremony marking the laying of the foundation stone in 1248.