Outside temperature: :
Archbishop Engelbert von der Mark (d.1368) had this tomb monument to himself erected in the Chapel of the Cross during his lifetime. The black marble slab on which the pale limestone effigy lies protrudes on all sides. The gisant is clothed in bishop’s vestments. Unusually, the deceased’s hands are not joined in prayer, but simply folded over each other. The limestone male and female mourning figures, which are dressed in the clothes of simple burghers and can be seen beneath the tracery arches on the sides of the tomb chest, were originally painted. They are now protected by a modern grating. These mourning figures, which are typical of French tomb monuments, show signs of early realism.