Cathedral partially closed
    Only accessible to those attending Mass
    Inside temperature:
    Outside temperature: :

Tomb of Archbishop Simar

Photo: © T. Kern

Behind this tufa slab and a brick wall lies the tomb of Archbishop Hubertus Theophilus Simar, who was archbishop of Cologne from 1900 to 1902. The inscription features the Latin name of the deceased and the most important dates in his life. To the left of the inscription is the archbishop’s coat of arms. The escutcheon is divided into three parts. The cross of the archiepiscopal state can be seen on the right. On the top left is the cross of what was then the diocese of Paderborn and below this the head of a stag with a cross, which is a reference to the archbishop’s name saint, St Hubert. The coat of arms and inscription were designed by the cathedral’s head architect Willy Weyres and executed by Engelbert Davepon.

Kulturstiftung Kölner Dom Das Generationenprojekt 11.000 Sterne für den Kölner Dom ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN VON 1842 DOMKLOSTER 4