Dear visitors to Cologne Cathedral,
We are happy to welcome you to the Cathedral St. Peter at Cologne.
This cathedral was built to the glory of God and
is to this day, above all, a house of prayer and worship.
The cathedral protects the precious relics of the Three Kings.
By entering the cathedral, you acknowledge the following rules.
(1) All visitors respect the dignity of this holy place and refrain from loud talking or running.
(2) Sightseeing is generally permitted whenever no service is being celebrated at the main altar in the center of the cathedral
(3) Music and singing outside of services is not permitted.
(4) Parents or adults accompanying children or youth observe their supervisory responsibilities.
(5) Visitors respect closures and areas which are off limits to sightseeing.
(6) Cell phones etc. are to be placed in “silent” mode. Talking on the phone is only permitted outside the cathedral.
(7) Clothing should be appropriate for the house of God. Sleeveless or cropped tops are considered inappropriate as are short shorts or skirts. Men may cover their heads for health or religious reasons. Religiously offensive or racist symbols will not be tolerated.
(8) Food and drink are to be consumed outside the cathedral.
(9) Smoking, including e-cigarettes, is not permitted in the entire cathedral building.
(10) Persons who are visibly drunk may not enter the cathedral.
(11) Drugs of any kind (as defined by the Controlled Substances Act (BtMG)) are forbidden.
(12) Scavenger hunts etc. cannot take place inside the cathedral.
(1) Taking pictures without a flash and recording videos with reasonable
technical components is permitted outside of services for private use.
During services, it is possible only from one’s place. Respectful cooperation
is to be observed in that recordings do not directly contain other visitors.
Those taking pictures or making videos must, in any case,
respect the dignity of the location and follow the instructions of cathedral personnel.
(2) Private “photo shoots” are forbidden.
(3) Recordings with tripods require the permission of the cathedral provost.
(4) The use of model airplanes and unmanned aircraft (drones)
is not permitted in the cathedral or over the property outside.
(5) The publication of pictures or videos for non-private use—
i.e. editorial reports, commercial and ideological promotion
(including private websites and social media)—must have prior permission.
(6) These rules are excerpts from the regulations for taking pictures and recording videos in the cathedral. Please see the complete and concrete regulations at www.koelner-dom.de/fotografierenundfilmen.
(1) Luggage should be kept with you at all times. The owner is responsible for costs incurred by storage of luggage. Only luggage the size of a standard carry-on bag (max 55 x 40 x 20 cm) may be brought into the cathedral.
(2) Wheelchairs, rollators and licensed electric wheelchairs are allowed in the cathedral; other wheeled vehicles and bicycles must remain outside.
(3) Weapons (including potential weapons and CS-gas) are prohibited throughout the cathedral.
(4) Folding chairs, stools and the like may not be brought.
(5) Balloons, confetti and streamers are forbidden throughout the cathedral.
(1) Cathedral tours are only possible with a guide licensed for such tours at the cathedral.
(2) Tour participants are to be informed of the cathedral rules.
(1) The instructions of the security personnel and cathedral guards are to be followed at all times.
(2) Persons not following the cathedral rules or the instructions of the staff may be asked to leave.
(3) Cathedral guards do not serve as cathedral guides.