Cathedral partially closed
    A quiet visit is possible
    Inside temperature:
    Outside temperature: :

Inside wall of the south transept

Photo: © Dombauarchiv Köln, A. Wolff

The wall panel between the portal area and the large south transept window features magnificent tracery and canopies. It was designed by the cathedral’s head architect at the time, Ernst Friedrich Zwirner, and completed in 1847. The wall panel, which is the same width as the large window above it, is divided into two horizontal sections. In the lower section, figures depicting Saints Benedict, Dominic, Francis, Bruno, Ignatius of Loyola, and Teresa (all founders of religious orders) stand on pedestals beneath architectural tracery. Above them in the upper section, six angels with banners stand under tabernacle-like canopies. The 12 figures were sculpted in 1871 by cathedral sculptor Peter Fuchs.

Kulturstiftung Kölner Dom Das Generationenprojekt 11.000 Sterne für den Kölner Dom ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN VON 1842 DOMKLOSTER 4