Outside temperature: :
This winged altar-piece was painted in muted colours by the Cologne artist Bartholomew Bruyn the Elder in 1548. The centre panel shows the Crucifixion of Christ. Mary and St John stand mourning on either side of the cross, Mary Magdalene sits behind the cross. The dynamic landscape in the background is a feature of all three panels. In the two wings, the altar-piece’s donors are seen dressed as canons and kneeling at the foot of the cross. They are presented to Christ by St Andrew (left) and St Peter (right). When the altar-piece is closed, the centre panel shows the Annunciation flanked by images of St Nicholas and St Roch. The inscription at the base of the altar-piece identifies Johann Baunacher de Halfort, a canon at the Church of Maria ad Gradus in Cologne, and ‘a number of good friends’ as the donors.