..
    Services
    Cathedral partially closed
    A quiet visit is possible
    Inside temperature:
    Outside temperature: :

Crucifixion, late fifteenth century

The mural beside the entrance to the sacristy dates from the late fifteenth century and picks up on the theme of the Crucifixion of Christ already addressed by the Gero Crucifix in the Chapel of the Cross. This mural, which inspires the beholder to devotion, shows Mary and St John mourning on either side of the cross. It is no longer known who donated the mural and, therefore, who the figure kneeling at the foot of the cross is. This kind of crucifixion image was very common in fifteenth-century paintings made in Cologne. The mural was painted over during a restoration effort in the nineteenth century.

Kulturstiftung Kölner Dom Das Generationenprojekt 11.000 Sterne für den Kölner Dom ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN VON 1842 DOMKLOSTER 4