Cathedral partially closed
    A quiet visit is possible
    Inside temperature:
    Outside temperature: :

Shrine of the Three Holy Kings, Back Side, c. 1220

– Köln, Dom, Dreikönigenschrein; Rückseite, Gesamtansicht Gesamtansicht © Dombauarchiv Köln, Matz und

Work on the Shrine concluded around 1220 with the reliefs and decorations on the back, done by goldsmiths from the Meuse area. The space is divided into two shrines below and one above. The theme of the bottom level is the Passion of Christ, which has to be seen as a continuation of the lost cycle from the lower roof surfaces. In the gable is Christ crowning the martyrs Felix and Nabor, completing the Apocalypse scenes formerly on the upper roof surfaces.
Dr. Rolf Lauer, Kunsthistoriker

Kulturstiftung Kölner Dom Das Generationenprojekt 11.000 Sterne für den Kölner Dom ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN VON 1842 DOMKLOSTER 4